Thursday, February 11, 2010

Daisy Miller

Daisy Miller was an interesting read, in fact I thought it was actually very good and it held my interest rather well. I didn't really think about it very deep until class on Tuesday, when we talked about the article in the Evergreen and then on to the "rules" we think as okay or not okay. Our discussion in class got me thinking about the way we set these rules and how we then put those rules into play. A good example of this is just the culture here at WSU and how the perception of us is we are here to drink and party and school comes second but in reality we aren't any different then the average university. Daisy Miller has the same thing happening because of how the characters view each other and then how those views and perceptions shape the outcome of the book. Whatever example you want to use this still says something about social interaction and how we have a higher social code that we hold each other to, whether we are aware of it or not, good or bad. So stepping back and thinking about this in the big picture I ask myself why do we this? Is this part of our nature that we just can't help or has society and culture forced us into this sort of behavior? I never would have thought that a 70 page novella would make me think about something so abstract and really put me in a place that I start to question my culture and up bringing.
In short, Daisy Miller was a powerful read. It made me think and I like that.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that Daisy Miller got you thinking about these ideas, Kent. Part of the reason that Daisy's death occurs at the end is that the kinds of issues you identify seem trivial at first but are fundamentally important to who we are.

    ReplyDelete